Introduction

William Maxim WMaxim@gnn.com
Sun, 08 Sep 1996 08:53:30 +0000

Dear List,

I am new to the list, (signed on two days ago) though I have been
using computers in my business since the early 80's, in PTG a
number of years and tuning since college days in the '50's.

Being new, I admit to ignorance as to what has recently transpired
in the pianotech list.  I fully expected the grist for the mill to
be helping one another with technical problems.  However, I was
astounded to see the space taken up with "war stories" over
<<double reeds>>, <<<triple reads>>> (pun intended) and <<<<quad
strings>>>>.

I intended to lurk in the background for a while to get the feel
for this group and only click in for a technical question or to
offer advice if I felt qualified.

But I will risk the damage to my reputation in making this my first
contribution to the list: I heard this remark recently from a viola
player, who repeated the definition of "perfect pitch" as "tossing
a viola into the commode without hitting the rim."  How about
trying that with a double-reed when you are arguing about pitch?

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service, Columbia, SC

"A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries" (especially in
my tool kit!)