A-442 (was Re: Fork or Float)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sun, 08 Sep 1996 11:38:09 -0500

At 10:05 AM 9/6/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Dear All,
>In a situation with an orchestra and piano, yes the difference can be noted
>if the orchestra is at 442 and the piano is at 440. Ask me how I know <G>.

Would you mind telling me how you know!?  I love all of these stories.

>When an orchestra demands that the piano be tuned to 442 or higher, I comply.
>I charge for two pitch raises and two tunings to get it to stabilize at 442
>and two pitch lowers and two tunings to get it back to stability at 440. It
>is truly amazing how often the orchestra management will agree to use 440
>instead of 442 when given options.
>
>Gina

Dear Gina,

Just a question... Someday I would like to be a concert tuner, and I
recently was asked to tune the Steinway D at our local college.  It was very
sharp, and I did three tunings to lower it to A-440 and then to stabilize
it.  It was my best tuning ever.

But how frequently do you have to tune your concert pianos to maintain them
at A-440?  I would really appreciate knowing that so I can make
recommendations to our local college.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
*****P.S.*****  The web page is finally up again!