A-442 (was Re: Fork or Float)

Barb Barasa bbarasa@mind.net
Sun, 08 Sep 1996 10:16:24 -0700

I have to admit I have not read all the mail on this 440/442 topic. Just TOO
MUCH MAIL lately for me to read it all.  Having said that, I have a question:

Is it really necessary to do 2 pitch lowerings/raisings and 2 tunings to
adjust for 2 cycles a second difference??  Since I have done pitch raises of
almost a half step (Ab to A) and had the A come out almost dead on 440
(without a SAT --- but don't start on that again -- I'm convinced!! I'll get
one when I can afford it!), I find this hard to believe.  I understand the
stability issue but still ...

I can see using this "persuasive" method just to get the customer to agree
to stop messing with the piano and saving wear and tear on the pinblock, but
what I'm asking is, are these charges really for what you would have to do?

Barb Barasa
Ashland, OR