Waterlogging

rhohf@idcnet.com rhohf@idcnet.com
Sun, 08 Sep 1996 21:58:50 -0500

Did  you hear on NPR about a venture to raise thousands of logs
from the bottom of (I think) Lake Michigan?  Apparently left over
from the logging days there are all these prime oak, sugar maple
and other species lying on the bottom in great shape. The owner
plans to mill it and sell it to woodworkers and the like.  Too bad
there problably won't be much spruce. Brent

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe

*****************

Brent,

I didn't hear the NPR coverage but have a friend who is a cabinet maker who
knows one of the partners of the venture.  My friend told me the story some
time ago so I'm not sure I have it straight.  It seems that the logs are in
Bayfield Bay in Wisconsin on the south shore of Lake Superior.  They floated
the old growth logs on the lake to a sawmill in Bayfield and a certain number
of them sank in transit.  I heard that the are well preserved due to the cold
temperature and lack of oxygen in the water (everyone around here knows Lake
Superior as the lake that doesn't give up its dead).  It seems that they had
raised a few hundred logs with air bladders but had no idea how many logs
there are (maybe 100k or more of many species).  I've asked my friend to
inquire about an update and will post any interesting info.

Bob Hohf
Wisconsin