1914 Weber Pinblock

scott.e.johnson@24stex.com scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
Sun, 08 Sep 1996 18:02:23 -0800

To any and all,
I'm about to send a contract to the owner of a 1914 Weber 5'5" grand. The
rebuild will include a pinblock which I notice does not rest on any shelf at
either end. It has a tight fit against the strecther with a cove along the
bottom edge where it contacts the stretcher.

Since the block must be mortised in to the sides of the case I was trying to
remember what I had read about replacing this kind of block. I remember an
article, by Andre Bolduc I think, where it was suggested to leave some of the
old block on either end. Next a rabbet is cut in these pieces of old block
and a corresponding rabbet in the new block. This would provide the shelf.

Am I barking up the right tree and would any one have some suggestions as to
how much of the old block to leave and what size to make the rabbets? Does
anyone remember an article about this?

I have allowed about the same amount for this job that I would make in my
usual week of tuning 12 pianos minus the cost of the block.

Scott Johnson
Auburn, California
scott.e.johnson@24stex.com

___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.21 [NR]