Comment: Chapter Technical help

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 09 Sep 1996 12:13:04 -0500

Robert,

>>   What seems, in my experience, to be lacking most is laying a solid
>>position(s)
>>in relation to the knuckle, lining up the hammers to the strings,
>>checking for >>friction, lubrication, replacing key end felt while the
>>action is in the shop
>>in order to make damper regulation easier. That type of thing. Does this
>>sound >>like a good idea for something a little different?

>Mr. Todd;
>Yes , it does sound a little different.
>What seems to be, in my experience as a concert technician, is you're on
>the right track, but as far as laying a "solid foundation" goes, you
>should >start at the begining!

   Could you explain a little more what you mean by the beginning? To me,
the type of thing I mentioned above *is* the beginning. As least as far as
working with the existing parts is concerned.

>>   Now if I could just get the guy who screwed up the action I've been
>>working on to come to that class...... <G>

>Again.. Mr. Todd;
>
>You mentioned that you know this problem tech. Shouldn't you ask him to
>attend and take in your class? Maybe then you could teach him the "right"
>way of doing things and relieve yourself of some of those frustrations
>brought on by "incompetent technicians"!!!

>Robert moffatt
>Calgary, Alberta
>Canada

   Good thought. Although I've been in Houston for about 3-1/2 yrs. and have
never seen him at a meeting. But worth a try, though.
   Thanks for your post.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston