Comment: Chapter Technical help

robert moffatt piano service moffattr@cadvision.com
Mon, 09 Sep 1996 13:43:25 -0600

>Robert,
>
>>>   What seems, in my experience, to be lacking most is laying a solid
>>>position(s)
>>>in relation to the knuckle, lining up the hammers to the strings,
>>>checking for >>friction, lubrication, replacing key end felt while the
>>>action is in the shop
>>>in order to make damper regulation easier. That type of thing. Does this
>>>sound >>like a good idea for something a little different?
>
>>Mr. Todd;
>>Yes , it does sound a little different.
>>What seems to be, in my experience as a concert technician, is you're on
>>the right track, but as far as laying a "solid foundation" goes, you
>>should >start at the begining!
>
>   Could you explain a little more what you mean by the beginning? To me,
>the type of thing I mentioned above *is* the beginning. As least as far as
>working with the existing parts is concerned.
>
>>>   Now if I could just get the guy who screwed up the action I've been
>>>working on to come to that class...... <G>
>
>>Again.. Mr. Todd;
>>
>>You mentioned that you know this problem tech. Shouldn't you ask him to
>>attend and take in your class? Maybe then you could teach him the "right"
>>way of doing things and relieve yourself of some of those frustrations
>>brought on by "incompetent technicians"!!!
>
>>Robert moffatt
>>Calgary, Alberta
>>Canada
>
>   Good thought. Although I've been in Houston for about 3-1/2 yrs. and have
>never seen him at a meeting. But worth a try, though.
>   Thanks for your post.

Mr. Todd;

Maybe it was just an over sight on your part assuming that these
"incompetent technicians" would know that before you start burning @
traveling hammers,etc. etc.,one must check and attend to a few very basic
things first.
I'd suggest tightening the action screws, easing the keys, checking all
action centres,
bed the keyframe etc., then carry on with your steps.

I'm sure you know these are very basic procedures, but extremley important
in laying down a "solid foundation" for action AND tone regulation.

Regards;

Robert Moffatt

rm