Piano moving overseas!

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 08:58:47 -0400

    Hi Paul,

    Try calling Schaffer Bros. Piano Movers (800) 222-2888.  I think they do
    trans-oceanic piano moves, and they may be able to give you some info on
    prepping your piano for the big move.  Good luck!

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG (or what's left of it)
    JPIESIK@ARINC.COM

To the List;

I'm in the process of moving my grand piano from Poland to the US. It will
travel via Atlantic Ocean. In Poland there are no pro-piano movers and I gues
my family and friends will have to prepare the piano for the trip. Building a
box is not a problem, but my main concern is the sealing the piano. It cannot
be exposed to the ocean wet and salty air. The piano was build at the end of
the 19th century in London and is a valuable instrument. Size simmilar to the
size of Steinway B.

Question:  How can you seal the piano on your own?  Any special material
(plastic foil) is reguired?  Can such old wood (sound board) be significantly
affected and how by the sea air?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciate.

Paul Siwko-Bajon

Piano Tech
Indiana University