Piano moving overseas!

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 19:26 -0400 (EDT)

We recently crated a piano for shipment to Germany that a missionary owned.
We built the crate then laid a large sheet of thick plastic on the bottom
of the crate. The piano was placed on top of the plastic. The plastic was
brought up and over the top of the piano.

The critical step would be to seal all the edges of the plastic. I had done
some super-insulation on a home I lived in and used some sort of tacky
caulking compound that adhered to the plastic vapor barrier. This backed up
with old fashioned duct tape should give a fairly tight seal. To be extra
sure throw in s few bags of silica gel like Yamaha uses. This absorbs
excess moisture.

You may also want to check with any piano dealers that receive shipments
from outside the country. You could possibly get a lot of the materials
from a crate and re-use them.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton  PA
215-723-6900

>To the List;
>
>I'm in the process of moving my grand piano from Poland to the US. It will
>travel via Atlantic Ocean.
 snip