Too much sustain

William Bailer Wbailer@cris.com
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 21:51:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996 Brent.Fischer@asu.edu wrote:

>List,
>
>   Just finished a Steinway S with a new board, block, the works.
>Dampers stop at note #67. The following four notes are open to the
>next plate strut and ring time is incredible to the point of being
>a problem. Already tried muting the duplex areas without making a
>difference.  Building in extra dampers seems ludicrous. Voicing down
>the area will cause loss of clarity and change the eveness of the
>section, so that is not a good option. Any ideas?
>
>Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
>Arizona State University/Tempe

Brent,

I am one who has severly frowned on the common practice of "wise cracks"
to serious questions, so I hope that this is not regarded as such, but:
I personally would cherish the apparently remarkable qualities of your
rebuilding job, and enjoy those qualities.  There are customers that
would revel in the sustain of note #71, and gladly accept the fact that
there is no damper!  Sometimes things turn out so well that the world
cannot anticipate accomodation of such perfection!

Bill Bailer

\\\  William Bailer                              wbailer@cris.com
\\\  Rochester, NY, USA                       phone: 716-473-9556
\\\  Interests: acoustics, JSBach, anthropology, piano technology