"Otto Altenburg"

Israel Stein custos1@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 13:20:49 -0700

At 09:34 AM 9/12/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>Anybody out there have any info on a piano bearing the name
>Otto Altenburg. I don't know any manufacuring details but the plate detailing
>looks similar to one of our common "bulk" producers in Asia.
>Tuned up fairly nicely.......some pretty knarly false beats in melody section
>though. Thought I would get some info on it before seating strings on next
>service call. Thanks!
>Dale Whitehead, RPT
>Franklin, TN

Otto Altenburg is a large and old piano dealership in Elizabeth, N.J. that
has been marketing stencil pianos in their own name for a long time. They
may at one time have been manufacturers. I serviced one (5" 9") about a year
ago which turned out to be a 1985 Samick. It had some loose tuning pins, and
in spite of its having been barely used since purchase (new) required a
complete regulation - hammers were double-striking. It seemed like the piano
was shipped directly from the boat to the showroom to the custumer - with no
prep at all...

Israel Stein (CA)