Centenial Edition M&H

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 18:49:18 -0400

List;
 I have just removed the plate from a M&H 'B' in the rebuild process and was
reminded once again that Aeolian M&Hs weren't Boston M&Hs.  The pinblock in
this instrument is not glued in at any point and is only connected to the rim
by through screws via plate web (1 ea side) through pin block into shelf. I
have seen many M&Hs by Aoelian manf. in this fashion. This particular block
is even notched out at the ends so that the plate through screws will not
bind on the pinblock. There is a space between the block and stretcher that
varies from 1/4" to 1/2". (measured before block or plate were removed)
  This brings me to my question, i.e. should I just install the new block in
the same manner or should I fit and glue the block in, ala Steinway and
Boston M&H ? In your  'opinion' will there be an improvement enough in
stability to warrant the extra effort ? Any thoughts, theories are welcome as
I have hashed this problem out by myself many times and have not arrived at a
satisfactory answer by myself.
Jim Bryant (FL)