Wurlitzer Full Metal Pinblock

Ken Hale kenhale@dcalcoda.com
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 16:32:36 -0700

Hi,

The piano looked just like any other rather boring Wurlitzer Baby
Grand.

Until I started tuning it. The Tuning Pins were so tight that I began
to hurt my arm and shoulder. I decided that this piano was not going
to get a very good tuning.

After the tuning, I discussed the piano a bit with the lady of the
house and told her that the tightness really prevented a very
accurate tuning. I also told her that I was a little puzzled why an
old piano would have such tight tuning pins.

I left and the husband, who was working in the yard, asked me how it
went. I told him about the Pinblock. He said that he was told it was
a metal pinblock.

Of course, I replied, that the plate is metal but the pinblock is wood.
They had just bought the piano and the piano mover was also the
person who had maintained the piano. The piano person told him the
pinblock was metal and would hold tune better.

So, I went back in, because I was curious, removed the fallboard and
sure enough, the pinblock was metal. The tuning pins were sticking
out underneath and were split. A long wedge was driven into this
split, kind of like an axe handle wedge, and was about .5" long.
Looking back at the tuning pin area, I saw that there were no screws
going through the plate. Hmmm, interesting.

It is a Wurlitzer baby grand, # 110716 (I think, pencil numbers on
the front of keyframe) and has 6 legs. Should stand up better, also.

Anybody know about these?

Ken Hale, RPT

PianoDB 95 for MSAccess95 now shipping.

PianoDB for MSAccess 2.0, A Windows database

Manage your Piano Service Business

Integrates with MS Office

Download InfoPack

D C AL CODA