"Otto Altenburg"

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 23:48:08 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:34:38 -0400
> From:          Daleboy@aol.com
> Subject:       "Otto Altenburg"
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

> Dear List,
> Anybody out there have any info on a piano bearing the name
> Otto Altenburg. I don't know any manufacuring details but the plate detailing
> looks similar to one of our common "bulk" producers in Asia.
> Tuned up fairly nicely.......some pretty knarly false beats in melody section
> though. Thought I would get some info on it before seating strings on next
> service call. Thanks!
> Dale Whitehead, RPT
> Franklin, TN

Dale,

I have a customer with an Otto Altenburg.  Definitely a Korean
made piano.  I ended up removing a lot of hammer weight via my
1" belt sander to make it more playable.

In the far past I had a customer with a Hainal? piano also made
in Korea, I believe I remember it had a bunch of spare parts in the
bench.  After pulling the action I noticed that the beautiful 1/4
sawn end grain of the soundboard was actually a piece of tape
covering a laminated piece of wood.  Have anyone else noticed
this kind of tom-foolery!

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA