Wurlitzer Full Metal Pinblock

EBordeleau@aol.com EBordeleau@aol.com
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 01:01:19 -0400

<< After getting blank stares from different folk as I
 gushed about this great Wurlitzer grand I finally talked to Paul Monachino
 and another person (whose name I forget) who knew what I was talking about.
 >From these two I got the following two stories.  I don't remember who is
 responsible for which one. >>

Clark -

I have a third story about the 7' Wurlitzer grands, as told by Steve Jellen
over 20 years ago.  According to Steve, the head engineer at Wurlitzer
attended a trade show in the early thirties, and wound up in the hotel bar
with several other piano men at the end of the day.  One of them, who worked
for a "famous name" piano manufacturer, made a disparaging remark to the
Wurlitzer man, claiming that all they knew how to do was build "cheap"
pianos.  This so bothered the man that upon his return to the factory, he
asked permission to design a 7' grand - something that had no marketing
potential in those depression days.  Nevertheless, the management relented,
afraid that with his pride wounded, they might lose their most important
engineer.  He spent a year working on the project, and turned out 3 prototype
7' grands in time for the following year's trade show, where they were
displayed and caused a sensation.  Apparently they were the equal of the best
that the "famous names" could produce.  Unfortunately, they cost the factory
$7000 to build and no others were built beyond these three.

I had an opportunity to ask Cliff Anderson about this in the late 70's when
he was still working for Wurlitzer (after 30+ years as an engineer there).
  He knew of these 7' Wurlitzers as well, and said that there were a lot more
than 3 out there, probably a few dozen.  They never went into factory
production, but were produced as one-offs on special order.  Cliff also
talked about a lot of other "experimental" pianos that were built in the
engineering department, such as a console with a fiberglass soundboard -
terrific tuning stability season to season since it was unaffected by
atmospheric moisture.  Of course marketing hated it - how could they sell a
piano with a GREEN soundboard?  Besides it cost twice as much as a plywood
board.  My guess is the metal pinblock  was another such innovation.  It may
be a prototype, or a limited run instrument.  We can only guess at the number
of bona fide improvements piano engineers have developed, only to see the
ideas scuttled by the marketing wonks.

Ed Bordeleau