More Action Brackets Help

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 14:04:17 -0700 (mst)

Dear Avery:

All kinds of trouble can be experienced if the action is not at the
correct height.  A basic premise is that the hammer flange center pin must
be at the height that allows the hammer shank to be level when the hammer
contacts the string. Of course, the hammer boring length must also be
correct for this model in order for the first premise to be realized.
In most factory setups, the bracket feet are shimmed up to accomplish this
basic setting.  If one shimmed up only the hammer rail (which is
unthinkable) the action spread would be changed.  Sure, you could then
shim up the action wippen rail too, but why not just do the bracket shims?
If one can assume that the action worked properly originally, then
there is normally no big problem in getting back to that original
position.  HOWEVER, to play it safe, first shim the brackets so that the
hammer position is right (shanks level when hammer touches string).  Next,
adjust action rail forward or backward to center over the existing cap-
stans (this may change the action spread, but you probably don't know what
that measurement was originally anyway).  Next check the sample touch
weight of keys in all sections.  Write down the gram weights. Next, check
the hammer blow-keydip relationships.  When the wippen rail is too
close to the front (ie the action spread is too short) the touch will
be heavy and the needed keydip will be less to accommodate a standard
hammer blow distance.  And, vice-versa, when the wippen rail is too far
back (ie the spread is too wide) the touch will be lighter, but will
require more keydip to accomplish let-off and drop.  Write down the sample
gram weights.  The worst-worst case
scenario might require moving the capstan line, but I would normally
be suspicious of that requirement.  At any rate, if you feel you need
to make any monumental changes, do it for 1 note sample in each section
before you change all 88 notes.

Caution!  Heavy hammers could fake you out into doing all kinds of weird
things here.  Make sure your hammer tails are properly narrowed before
making any touch weight judgments

Jim Coleman, Sr.