Bass Strings

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:21:05 -0500

Hi Joel,

>I am pretty new to this cyberspace stuff and have, as my first internet
>act joined the Pianotech List.  It is very impressive how knowledgeable,
>helpful and polite everyone is; no sarcasm or impatience.  I look
>forward to my second day of Pianotech List {;>

   Glad to see you finally "took the plunge". Welcome to the list. Just wait.
It isn't *always* this harmonious, although it is usually very civil. :-)

>But seriously folks, Avery Todd brought up a subject about which I have
>some interest and perhaps I could shed some light.
>
>Avery Todd wrote on 9/7:
>>
>> List,
>>    Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard this before? I haven't. Does
>> he mean the copper wrapping or the twist put in when installed?
>
>Actually, the writer could mean both, since, when installing the bass
>strings, we look at the way the copper is wound onto the core and twist
>in that direction.  Anyway, the direction of the copper is dependent on
>whether the spinner puts the copper on from left to right or vice
>versa.  Another variable is whether the spinner feeds the copper going
>over or under the core during spinning.  I know quite a few master piano
>builders and no one has ever mentioned anything like this.
>I can't really understand the hemisphere reasoning.  After all, pianos
>made in the northern hemisphere (USA, Germany, for example) fare just
>fine - all other things being equal - when they live in the southern
>hemisphere.  Has anyone heard any different?
>
>Regards to all -- Joel

   I can't find the post but someone wrote back and suggested that the
original writer was pulling our leg, although with a lot of class. :-)
Maybe that *is* the explanation for the hemisphere comment.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston