missed appointments, no-shows

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 07:27:43 -0400

Larry and list;
"Ah yes, that dreaded look about the place that I've become so good at
spotting.  It's as if I can see the heat from the people from with in the
house, or I can hear if there's a heartbeat coming from inside the
house..........."

 Larry it is weird how this happens. It's as if there really is something in
the air saying 'this place is deserted'. I get this feeling and it very
seldom fails me but when it does I am shocked when someone answers the door.
Perhaps one of you "pnuematic types', with your insight into air power and
the generally unknowable would do a semi-scientific study of this phnomenon.
It probably should wait until the study  on 'equatorial string winding
direction bias' is published though.

  For no shows I will wait the requisite 15/20 minutes and then leave a bill.
I do not get into a huff if the bill is not paid and I will never mention it
to the customer whether  the tuning is rescheduled or not. Leaving the bill
lets the customer know that I was there and that I expect to be paid for
holding up my end of the agreement. Since the biggest thing we have to sell
is our time (now wait and think before you bring up skill, service,
experience, etc.) and it is limited, the missed appointment does cost me in
terms of income. I will do as Dr. Coleman suggested, i.e. tune at a nearby
church if one is convenient. The good customers will call you, usually before
you get back to the shop, and the not so good ones will blow you off in some
manner.
I lean over backwards to accomodate the former and never work for the latter
again.
  I think that each of us handle this situation in a manner that we feel
comfortable with and in a manner that reflects our personalities. It is good
to see the many different views on this. BTW I keep an audio book in the car
to listen to while I am waiting.
Jim Bryant (FL)