missed appointments

Curtis Spiel be690@scn.org
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 07:30:57 -0700 (PDT)

    Bill Stratton asks what to do in the case of a missed appoint-
ment of a dealer tuning, as he has already lost money because he
discounts services for dealers. I, too, used to charge dealers
less than retail, but stopped a couple of years ago. Why? Why not!
We as qualified piano technicians deserve to be treated as necces-
sary business expenses by dealers, and as long as we put up with
second rate pay, that is what we are going to get. I know that
plenty of technicians depend on dealers for a large part of their
income, and I think it is appropriate to give dealers considertion
for floor tunings (multiple pianos in one location, empty space in
your schedules filler, etc.), but home service for a dealer is
as much work, or more, as home service for my regular customers,
who also recommend me to their piano owning friends. I think it
is unfair to charge my private customers, especially the ones who
take good care of their pianos, more money for servicing their
pianos than I charge a dealer for the same, or likely more, work.
    What do you all think?
				Curtis Spiel, RPT