Benchs

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 11:32:44 -0800 (PST)

Avery,
	I've never purchased benches from Janssen or APSCO directly,
although I know that Janssen benches are usually about the best.  I do
buy a lot of benches (Usually for my rental and used pianos) but usually
I am looking for a decent bench at a low price.  I usually buy them from
Schaff.  Schaff has a wonderful padded bench for about $83.00 .You can
actually get benches elsewhere for as low as $40-$50, but the quality
really drops and they wear out in a year or two.  Very similar to the
worst Chinese pianos that you've seen.
	There is a trade off in bench lids and you'll need to decide
which fits your needs more.  Padded benches will get torn up but
finished benches will get scratched (carved).  By not putting a finish
on the lid, the price of benches really drops.   Sometimes, the price of
an unfinished bench is lower but not usually not low enough to make it worth it (at least for me).  By buying in bulk, you can probably get a much
better price.  As for height, I would take an average of several bench
heights and buy the common size.

Ron Shiflet