stripped S&S hammer flange screws

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 15:33:45 -0400

> I've encountered a handful of stripped hammer flange screws on a model O.
Is
>  there any effective method of tightening these up, short of the difficult
> job of replacing the rail itself?
>
>  Richard Boyington, RPT
--------------------------
There have been some good repairs posted, but don't forget to look into the
original reason for the stripped screws. Sometimes it's just overenthusiastic
tightening, but sometimes it's replaced shanks with flanges that are thinner
than the originals which cause the screws to bottom out on the nether side of
the rail. The technician then strips the screws in a vain attempt to tighten
them. Repairing the stripped hole will be wasted effort in this case unless
one makes the screw shorter or the flange taller (with a washer).

Also, be careful not to get glue on the cloth -- it can leave you with bad
traveling and spacing problems. Cut it with a razor between two flanges and
lay it out of the way. For instance, take off the shank at the injured hole
AND the one to its right, then cut the cloth against the shank to the left,
and lay the cloth to the right.

Bob Davis, RPT
Stockton, CA