Agraffes

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:58:17 -0700 (mst)

Dear Mark:

The best advice I have ever received on extracting broken agraffe studs
is to use a tool that you can make yourself.  Get a small screwdriver with
a blade that is 3/16 wide. File the end like the illus. below:

                          _____________
                         (           /
                         )___________\_

You make this with a file edge placed at a slight angle across the face
of the blade.  Position the angle so that there will be a cutting edge
to dig into the bottom of the stud from below the pinblock.  If the screw-
driver is short enough, you can tap the points into the bottom of the
stud.  Turn the driver clockwise looking upward into the plate hole
and stud.  If you had not broken the easy-outs in the top, you could have
used this tool in the counter clockwise direction looking from above.  If
you ever have a case like this again, use this tool from above.  In
most cases, it comes out quite easily.

Another approach to this problem is to use a left-handed drill bit
from the top.  Use a slow speed drill, or tap holder.  When the drill
catches in the brass, the stud will usually come right out.

If or when all else fails, you can do like I did on my first job.  Drill
out the whole thing.  Steinway has available a repair agraffe for
which you must tap a larger hole.  At least I think that's where I got
mine back in '52.  You can see I've done it all three ways.  Guess
which one I like the best.

Jim Coleman, Sr.