Fork or Float Revisited

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 15:40:07 -0700

Piano Techies:

I read with great interest the fascinating discussion about tuning a
piano around where it happened to be or always tuning to A440.  The
replies certainly covered the whole gamut of ideas and all had merit;
however, there is one aspect that no one brought up.  Here in Austin,
Texas, we are known as the Third Coast because of all the movies shot in
the area and all the recording going on.  I am lucky to tune for many of
the major recording studios that use quality pianos and have my own idea
of the above subject as it applies to recordings.  That is, ALWAYS put
the piano at A440.
The simple reason, which may apply to some institutional instruments in
recording situations, is that several weeks after an initial recording
session, the group may decide they don't like the piano part (that is,
what the piano played; the instrument was in impeccable condition, of
course <big grin>).  They may come back for piano over-dubs and the
piano has to be exactly where it was before, even though it is now
thunderstorm season, humidity is sky high and the piano wanted to shoot
up to A443.
This is not so difficult in these situations because normally a
recording studio is pretty well insulated and the piano is tuned
regularly at closer intervals than the normal instrument.
For my regular home clients, I let the piano float up a beat or so at
a49 during humid times, but never below.
Regards
--Joel