Plate Crosspiece

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 07:34:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Joel Rappaport wrote:

> Here is a question for anyone about the crossbar or crosspiece on a 9'
> grand - specifically a Steinway, but it could be other designs, also.
> In the PianoTech Archives are several mentions about this removable
> piece of the Steinway plate, but no mention about cracking plates
> because of removal.  Has anyone had specific damage from taking this
> piece out for an extended time?  Does anyone at Steinway have any horror
> stories to relate?
> --Joel

I have had information from Steinway (I can't remember who) that this
can be removed without damage.  I had to remove one on a "B" here
because it buzzed on certain notes.  I put some string braid on the
points where the bar contacted the plate.  Buzz gone.  Also, installing
dampers is MUCH less frustrating with that bar gone.  I've had no
problem with it, and the bar always returned with no apparent change in
plate dimentions.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts