Sluggish dampers

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 00:17:52 -0500 (EST)

<< I have a chance to go back and correct this problem on Wednesday.  I am
 thinking of lubricating the sluggish damper wires with Protek, and possibly
 reaming the guide rail bushings.  Are there other things to try?

David,

Those are the first things to go with.  I've found that using a lubricant,
like Protek, cuts down on the amount of "swish" noise, for lack of a better
term, when using the damper pedal on most any brand.  Most of the problem on
these Baldwin's can be taken care of with the "umbrella stave" tool.
 However, in extreme situations, I've had to use a bridge pin (sorry, I
forget which size), knurled and clamped in a pin vise.  Obviously this means
you have to pull the action, remove the damper, ream, reinstall and regulate
for the extreme case.  This doesn't seem to be showing up on the newer
Baldwins but was happening pretty regularly for a while.

One other thing you might try is calling Kent Webb at Baldwin Tech Service
and see what he recommends.  It's worth a shot...

Happy reaming,

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.