Marks inside Pianos

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 10:39:50 -0600 (CST)

At 02:48 PM 3/28/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>
>> I don't like mysteries.
--snip--
>> I log all tuning dates, temperature,
>> and relative humidity info on the KEYS, in INK.
>
>--big snip --
>
>Does the owner of the piano get a vote on whether you write in their
>property or not?

No. I tell them ALL I've done this and I've not yet had anyone take offense
at it. That's in somewhat more than twenty years. They seem quite happy to
be absolved of the responsibility of keeping records themselves. They see
the economy of the method and like the fact that the information is
"lose-proof'. Besides, most people think pianos are immortal anyway and
leaving no evidence of service just reinforces that misconception with a
false aura of perpetual virginity. I'll take information over mythology any day.

At the risk of staggering into the metaphysical, I'd like to pose another
question. How do we service someone elses property without permanently
changing it? I've hauled off a lot of someone elses hammer felt, dust, key
trimmings, bent center pins, etc. I've evicted a lot of squeaks and clicks
and changed the sound and response of a lot of instruments. It's part of the
job. Pianos are not shrines, and we are not of the priesthood. Pianos are
instruments and mechanisms and we are mechanics. The engine compartment of
my pickup has plenty of stickers, notes, and cryptic markings inside.
Personally, I'm THRILLED about it because it means that someone else did the
work and I didn't have to mess with it!

I'm not looking for a fight, just perspective.

David iIvedson wrote:
>Ron,
>
>I think tuning marks are totally useless.  What does it matter
>whether it was tuned last month, six months ago, four years ago.
>Is it up to pitch?  No, then pitch raise and fine tune.  Yes,
>then tune and be on your way.  Rebuilding is a different story...
>I usually leave my mark on the side of key #1 when rebuilding.
>My customers know that their service record is on file in my
>computer via Dean Reyburn's "Piano Service Manger".  I will
>print them up a copy if they move.  I really believe if you must
>leave a mark leave it in pencil for easy removal.

I find these recorded dates to be valuable. Especially the temperature and
humidity information. With just the dates, the customer can see for herself
(usually women) that the need for the pitch raise is a result of the number
of years since the last tuning. That's quick, logical credibility. You don't
have to spend an extraordinary amount of time gaining their trust. The
decision and justification is already made by the visible history in the
piano. You don't have to sell it, it's obvious. The temperature and humidity
information is there for the folks who don't hear or understand any of the
fifteen minutes of education you gave them as to what will happen to their
tuning when the heat comes on in a couple of weeks when the weather changes.
They couldn't be convinced to wait for the seasonal change, but they'll call
to complain about the tuning when the heat comes on. Again, you have
documented credibility for the call back. Often, looking back in your own
records and producing the figures will jog the memory of the caller in your
favor and eliminate the call back altogether.

Standing around at a piano with no history, speculating and justifying
service on this speculation seems to me to look a tad less professional than
logical extrapolation of cause and effect from a continuous service record
that wasn't removed from the piano.

>I think this concept is a joke. If everybody who tuned a piano recorded
>his name, #, weather, humidity, mood, how many cups of coffee he had had
>that morning, inside an instrument, in stickers or ink, all we would see
>in a couple of years is a grafitti-ed over mess. Come on guys, wise up.
>Dave Doremus  RPT

Just date, temperature and humidity. The jokes are delivered verbally.

 Ron Nossaman