Steinway Crown -Reply

Vince Mrykalo mrykalov@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 10:26:18 -0700

>>> Michael Wathen <Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu>
04/01/97 06:03am >>>

My gut feeling is that tone in pianos die because
over time the strings are
coupled more strongly.  They dig into the wood and
pins and they learn how
to become one with the bridge and soundboard
system thereby transferring
their energy too quickly into the system.  In new
pianos the degree of
coupling is much less so that sustain is much
better.

I believe that this is why Concert & Artists divisions
of the major piano
manufacturers are forced to retire their concert
instruments after a period
of five or so years.  These pianos are still quite
good. But they begin to
lose that lustre and sustain that is so enviable.

----------------REPLY----------------------------------------

I agree with Michael. Bridge recapping is an
essential consideration on these older pianos I will
also point out that crown is most important right
under the bridge.  When measuring for crown, don't
be fooled.  The carpet thread should not touch the
board anywhere (except at the ends).  Quite often
there will be a space in the middle, but the board is
touching the thread in places other places too.
Also don't just limit your test along side of the
longest rib.  Do some testing up in the treble too.
Actually the first place I test for crown is around the
third and fourth rib from the treble end.

Vince Mrykalo
BYU
"My dogma ran after my karma"