Sluggish dampers

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 11:48:08 -0600

David,
	We have had several snug damper guide rail bushings the last couple of
years. I've always had good results with pro-tek, although sometimes it
took 2 or 3 applications. Calling Kent Webb when you have a situation with
a Baldwin is always a good first step, in case you need warranty
re-imbursment.
	Something to keep in mind when following all the very sound advice you've
already recieved, is that Baldwin's guide rail itself is not flat. They cut
that puppy to match the crown at the leading edge of the board, and
over-tightening the rail mounting screws can cause.... a headache. Before
bending any wires, try the damper without the underlever. See how it drops
when loose, and that will help you determine if the bushing is tight, or
just at a slight angle to travel. If an angle is the case, then reaming
will produce a floppy hole somewhere down the line. I've "burnished" a few
of the angled ones in the opposite "tilt" with good results. In a pinch,
you can do that with the damper wire itself, right after applying the pro-tek.
	Have fun!

At 08:20 PM 3/31/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear Friends,
>
>I recently tuned a nice Baldwin Artist grand, about a year old.  I also
>tightened all of the plate and action screws, including the damper flange
>screws. During my tuning, I noticed that two dampers were sluggish in
>returning, so I worked to get them to stop sticking, and they were working
>when I left.  The customers were pleased with the tuning, but noticed
>several dampers being slow in returning after I tuned the piano.  The
>customer thinks that it had something to do with the tuning.  I don't think
>it had anything to do with the tuning, but it MAY have something to do with
>my tightening the damper screws.
>
>I have a chance to go back and correct this problem on Wednesday.  I am
>thinking of lubricating the sluggish damper wires with Protek, and possibly
>reaming the guide rail bushings.  Are there other things to try?
>
>Also, can sluggish dampers have anything to do with the humidity?  Some
>days the dampers stick, and other days they don't.  Do guide rails change
>that much with the humidity?
>
>Thanks!
>David
>

>David A. Vanderhoofven       Associate Member, PTG
>Joplin, Missouri, USA        e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com
>
>web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
>#pianotech page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html

Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"You see, my piano is for me, what a ship is to a sailor; more indeed: it
is my very self, my mother tongue, my life."
					Franz Liszt