Chickering screw in dampers

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 10:22:29 -0500 (EST)

 Willem writes;

"I am also rebuilding 6'4" Chickering,
My problem is with the dampers. These are the screw in type. (the damper wire
is screwed into the damper flange). Has anyone had any experience working
with these. Are there any tips you can give me?"

    several things to keep in mind,

1.  You regulate  the height by how many turns it takes to screw the wire
into the top-post.
2.  You regulate the head to string alignment by how far in or out of the
damper head you screw the wire
3.  You turn the damper heads vertically to screw the wires into the
top-posts of the notes next to struts and such.
4.  Start with the most difficult to install first,  and make sure the
up-stop rail is all the way up.
5.  if there is a lot of looseness, a very dilute solution of PVC-E in the
hole will help a lot.

Good luck,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works