restringing and rosin

SGrossner@aol.com SGrossner@aol.com
Sat, 05 Apr 1997 16:40:06 -0500 (EST)

Dear List:

I am about to restring a Chickering grand. The block is good, and I intend to
use 4/0 pins. I was set to ream for new pins, when I noticed the holes are
tapered so as to get tighter the further down you drive them. The reamer I
have, a spoon bit, would eliminate that taper. Something I hesitate to do.
But the real question is this: I have heard that a bit of rosin on each pin
goes along way to eliminating creaky or jumpy pins. Does anyone know what
kind of rosin to use, and where to get it? I would also appreciate an opinion
on the benefit or detriment of reaming these tapered holes. Much appreciated.
Regards, Sam Grossner, chicago.