restringing and rosin

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Sat, 05 Apr 1997 15:12:33 -0600

At 04:40 PM 4/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
Sam,
	I use the Garfield Pin Block Restorer as a lube when installing new pins
in old blocks. In our climate, it's a big help  against the dryness. For
lube, I only thin it down about 25% (w/methanol). 50% for pin tightening.

>I am about to restring a Chickering grand. The block is good, and I intend to
>use 4/0 pins. I was set to ream for new pins, when I noticed the holes are
>tapered so as to get tighter the further down you drive them. The reamer I
>have, a spoon bit, would eliminate that taper. Something I hesitate to do.
>But the real question is this: I have heard that a bit of rosin on each pin
>goes along way to eliminating creaky or jumpy pins. Does anyone know what
>kind of rosin to use, and where to get it? I would also appreciate an opinion
>on the benefit or detriment of reaming these tapered holes. Much appreciated.
>Regards, Sam Grossner, chicago.

Guy Nichols, RPT
nicho@lascruces.com
	"You see, my piano is for me, what a ship is to a sailor; more indeed: it
is my very self, my mother tongue, my life."
					Franz Liszt