Soundboard Crack

Lkunsky257@aol.com Lkunsky257@aol.com
Sun, 06 Apr 1997 17:26:12 -0400 (EDT)

<<
 Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 22:10:12 -0500 (EST)
 From: PNOTNR@aol.com
 To: pianotech@byu.edu
 Subject: Re: Soundboard Crack

 >On closer examination, I found a 3 foot crack in the
 >>soundboard running along the top of the bridge.  I can see daylight
through
 >>this baby! How do I fix this and keep the bridge/soundboard relationship
 >>strong??  Epoxy?  Is it possible?
 >
 >Laura:
 >
 >Please explain how the soundboard can run on top of a bridge. The
soundboard
 >is under the bridge.
 >
 >Wim

 I suspect that Laura means the crack is in the portion of the soundboard
 vertically above the bridge.  (We are talking about a vertical piano,
right?)
  Are you finding that this crack allows the board on the bridge side of the
 crack to be pressed down lower then the other side?

 I think you'd need to repair any board/rib separation (Tightbond ought  to
be
 fine), and then encourage the use of climate control.  I assume that you're
 not considering tearing down the piano and shimming the board.  If all of
 your glue joints are solid,  I think the crack itself is more of a cosmetic
 concern.

 I second David's suggestion that you contact Don Mannino.   (Esp. on a newer
 instrument)

 Gordon Large, RPT

Thank you, Gordon .  Your suspicions are correct about the location of this
crack.  What concerns me most is the death of the tone due to the bridge
separating from the soundboard.  I'm assuming that the tone will improve once
the epoxy closes the gap.

I intend to lower the tension on all the strings, move the strings that are
in the way, and fill the crack in the board and under the the bridge with a
wood colored epoxy.  I'll wait the appropriate amount of time, replace the
strings and tune, tune, tune.

I've done similar repairs to loose bridges and soundboard cracks, just not
this combination!  Thanks to all of you for your help!

Sincerely,

Laura