Legs for S & S 'O'

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 09:28:07 -0500

List,

   It's amazing. Four years ago I didn't even know this forum existed.
Now, as soon as I run into a problem I've never dealt with before, the
first place I go to for advice/help is this list! I'm sure glad it's
here!
   Now for the problem. I just went to set up an old 'O' I have had
stored on its side for a while in a room across from my office (I was
going to loan it to our PTG chapter to use in PACE classes).
   Guess what? One of the legs is missing!!! Stolen, I assume. I should
have put all the smaller parts in my "shop" I guess, but it just never
occurred to me that someone would take a leg, of all things.
   What I need is any advice about ordering a set of legs that would fit
this piano. Would it be legs for an L? *Any* of the smaller models?
   I'm assuming that there would probably be a height difference between
the new and old legs. If so, would it be possible to cut down (assuming
it's longer) a new leg to match the old ones? Instead of having to buy a
complete set?
   I wanted to get some advice before I even called New York. Legs
specifically labeled for an 'O' are not on the Steinway price list.
   Surely someone on this list has had a similar problem. Or am I the
only one who doesn't think about putting all smaller parts out of
reach? :-)
   Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Avery

P.S. Of course, if we had unlimited money, I'd just send it to a good
rebuilder and let them rebuild the piano with all *new* legs and pedal
lyre. (Hi, Joel) :-)

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston