String breakage (was Re: I Raise the pitch...)

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 09:59:01 -0500 (CDT)

>On the initial pitch raise do you break the tuning pin flat first before
>you go up in pitch?  This simple procedure reduced my string breakage on
>pitch raises by about 80%...
>
>Warren D. Fisher

Dear List,

Thank you Warren, for mentioning this procedure, as it has stirred memories.

I have heard this method mentioned many times in my years of tuning pianos,
tuning the pin flat before going up in pitch as a means of reducing string
breakage.  I was wondering if any others also have personal experience or
knowledge concerning this procedure as really being beneficial, or is this
possibly one of those proverbial "wives' tales" handed down through the
ages.  Don't have a clue myself.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net