I Raise the pitch...on the pitch raise.

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 23:46:32 -0500

Norm,
Where the string leaves the tuning pin is, IMO, one of the two weak
spots where treble strings, for example, usually break.  (The other is
under the capo.)  It might help if we looked at it going the other way.
That is, as the string _approaches_ the tuning pin, then starts to wind
around it.  One side of the wire will be compressed, the other
stretched.  Of course, the same thing happens at the becket and that
doesn't normally break, although it has been known to happen.  Maybe
because at the point near the tuning pin, the string is flexed through
years of tuning.  This fits with the same weakness in the area under the
capo which is flexed during tuning and playing.

In general, regarding the subject of this thread, I think it is only the
deterioration of the wire from corrosion that leads to the breakage.
Others have described very well "breaking" the corrosion with some
lowering of the pitch before adding tension.  In a piano with new
strings (no dirt or corrosion), I think it is a destabilizing mistake to
first lower the tension if you are on your way up with the pitch.

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas