taxes - vehicle issue

PatWilbur@aol.com PatWilbur@aol.com
Wed, 09 Apr 1997 21:13:54 -0400 (EDT)

James Grebe writes:

>	Have any of you who have a vehicle that is soley (100%), therefore fully
>deductable seen the question on this years tax return.  It is on the back
>page of form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization.  Part V line 32 and
>states,
>	 "Was the vehicle available for personal use during off-duty hours?  May I
>ask what is the difference.  What does that have to do with anything.
>line 35 already asks if there is another vehicle you use for personal use.

These are not new questions. They are used to help determine the
believability (audit potential) of your deduction for vehicle expenses.

If you have a vehicle that is used for both personal and business purposes,
you are supposed to keep a mileage log to document your deduction. If you
answer that your vehicle was both "available for personal use during off-duty
hours" and that you do NOT have "another vehicle you use for personal use"
and you claim 100% business use of a vehicle, then you are really going to
fail the reasonableness check. Get it?

I hope I've been some help, but if you need a pro please see my previous
post...

Pat Wilbur (former tax accountant)
Fort Worth, TX

"I worked hard to get where I am. Where am I?"