Notes 85-86-87-88

DICK BEATON rbeaton@initco.net
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 10:57:54 -0600

Hi Sy...
Thanks for being so honest.  I've tuned electronically for over 20 years
and have always found sharp trebles by most aural tuners. (Not meant to be
anything against aural tuners!!)  I once read the reason is the notes are
not tuned by listening to the beat, but by listening to the oct 6 note
followed quickly by the octave 7 note.  This will get the higher note sharp
every time. It is understandable that it is very difficult if not
impossible to always hear the beat on those notes as the freq is so high.
So the answer is to get a SAT which you did.   I have found pianos sharp in
the high treble that were otherwise 50 cents or more flat and hadn't been
tuned in many years.

 Dick Beaton RPT
----------
> From: Sy Zabrocki <only4zab@imt.net>
> To: 'Pianotech' <pianotech@byu.edu>
> Cc: 'A-Sy Zabrocki' <only4zab@imt.net>
> Subject: Notes 85-86-87-88
> Date: Thursday, April 10, 1997 10:53 PM
>
> To All On List:
>
> Today I tuned a piano which last tuned Jan. 11, 1971. No other tuner had
tuned the piano either.  The piano was flat about 44 cents except for the
last four keys which were slightly sharp. So after all this time how could
the last few notes be sharp? Well they were sharp because I tuned them
sharp 26 years ago. Why did I tune them sharp? I don't know but will try to
explain. Here's the story.