Notes 85-86-87-88

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 20:54:28 -0700

Kgj38@aol.com wrote:

> Any tricks for getting the accutuner to not go wild up in the last octave?
>  It seems like I can only slow the lights down, but not stop up there!
>
> Karen Johnson

Yes Karen, a couple.

1. Frequently turn the SAT so that the microphone on the back faces in
different directions until you get the clearest light pattern.
Reflecting echos from the walls, piano lid, and large nearby furniture
can conflict with the piano's sound so that it masks the pattern you
should be watching.  With an upright, I sometimes set the SAT down on
the keys or a case shelf above the keys to get a better pattern.

2. Use soft then hard blows of the hammer to isolate the pattern you
need.

3. When you raise the pitch on the pin, spring it slightly so that you
get more pitch change than pin movement. Reverse it going down.  Many
notes in the last octave can be set easier by coming down to just below
the pitch then gently raising it.  For some reason, you can see the
correct pattern more often when you approach from that direction.

4. Play the octave below and hold it while you repeatedly play the note
and adjust the pitch.  Sometimes the pattern will get stronger as you
approach the correct pitch

5. Pluck the string with a guitar pick or finger nail.  This causes a
better pattern.

Hope this helps,

Warren
--