Notes 85-86-87-88

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 12:57:10 -0400

Robert Scott wrote:

>  In the TuneLab I
> compute a Fast Fourier Transform about 5 times per second.  Each
> time the frequency spectrum is computed, I display a graph of the signal
> amplitude as a function of frequency.  This graph is in addition to the normal
> phase display.  There is a zoomed-in mode where the frequency specturm
> display can be made to display only the region within +/- 200 cents around
> the desired pitch.  When the graph is in this mode, the tuning error is
> observed as a peak in the graph which is not centered on the red line which
> denotes the desired pitch.  Instead of stopping a moving display, you just
> tune in order to push the peak of the graph over towards the red line.  I have
> found that using this display in octave 7 is easier than trying to read a
> phase display and I believe in practice it is just as accurate.  In fact, if
> there
> are serious false beats, the frequency spectrum display actually shows
> several distinct peaks.  You can tune to the highest peak or you can center
> the several peaks around the red line.  In any case, it is easier that trying
> to read a phase display which is based on the assumption that the note
> you are listening to is pure.

I have been giving TuneLab97 lots of use, and I have found that the
frequency
spectrum display is a really valuable tool for tuning the top octave.  I
don't
even bother to mute the strings.  Each string can be individually
observed on
the display, and I move them one at a time to center.  I have never used
any
other VTD, so I can't compare and say this is the ultimate.  What I can
say, is
that it is a lot better than working by ear and using mutes.  Especially
in
some uprights where muting the top few octaves is a big pain.

Once again I must state that I have no affiliation with Bob Scott.  I'm
just
looking for better and quicker ways to tune a piano.

Frank Weston

P.S  Plucking the individual strings also works very well with the
frequency
spectrum display.