Notes 85-86-87-88.ab

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 15:02:40 -0400 (EDT)

Sam and List -

I occasionally find the last five or six notes gone sharp when I come to a
piano I have been tuning regularly for maybe ten or fifteen years.  I KNOW I
did not tune them that way.  And I've observed that neglected pianos seem to
drop more in the treble than elsewhere.  What causes going sharp in pianos
regularly tuned and not stretched beyond the amount a 2:1 octave indicates?
 Does it have anything to do with closeness to the end of the bridge/end of
the soundboard?  Maybe Sam Grossner has a point:

<< Another factor
 could be atmospheric shift of the bridges via the soundboard. The shorter
the
 string, the more a shift in the bridge will effect it, being a great
 proportion of its speaking length.  >>

Bill Maxim, RPT