Coloration (was: String breakage)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 15:28:50 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Jon,

Here's my 1 1/2 cents. What I'm thinking here seems a little off the wall,=
 but it might be a factor. In the last years of the Aeolian dy-nasty and in=
 low-end Kimballs (I know, I know) the letoff rail brackets in verticals=
 were so flimsy that it was possible to block hammers with the letoff set at=
 over 1/8". This didn't happen with a straight finger blow, but rather when=
 striking octaves. There was something about the resilient pressure of=
 fingers spread out like that that kept the jack buried in the butt deeply=
 enough to deflect the whole letoff rail enough for the hammer to block=
 solidly. Maybe the power curve is important after all. Back to grands. The=
 hammer shanks will=20flex quite a bit when played, according to an old slow=
 motion film that's knocking about somewhere. The terminal velocity of a=
 hammer can be identical whether the power was applied with a smooth=
 acceleration, through a long stroke, or a short chop. I would think the=
 tone coloration could be considerably affected by technique as it relates=
 to how the shank is flexing under power. Understrike, overstrike, scrub, or=
 dead square are going to produce slightly different sounds. Whether the=
 differences are enough to account for the observed aural effects, I can't=
 say. I must admit I haven't been following this thread that closely, so I=
 hope I'm not flogging a point that's already=20been raised. If not...=
 comments?

Regards, Ron Nossaman =20