bridges/seating

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 15:28:54 -0500 (CDT)

Mike & all,

Duh, (forehead smack) of course the side bearing is considerably more than=
 downbearing. Even I should have figured that out. That's why we ask these=
 questions, to have someone point out what we should have observed on our=
 own and didn't. Makes sense. OK, it's real. Something else occurred to me.=
 Initial hammer strike starts a local wave in the string that would rush=
 down-string and strike the bridge like a Tsunami, whipping the string up on=
 the pin. Like flipping another loop of rope over your kid brother at the=
 noose end of the calf roping game. The reflection wouldn't be as violent as=
 the initial wave because the whole string would be involved and the effect=
 would be less concentrated in any one place. Also, the reflection of the=
 same wave off the agraff, from the other direction would partially cancel=
 out the wave reflection from the bridge. This is probably why the string=
 doesn't go back down by itself. Sound plausible? I think this is starting=
 to make sense. Now I'm really curious as to how close the critical vectors=
 are in the stagger/pin tilt/tension combination that makes this possible,=
 to what we see in pianos. Hurry back, Mike.

<***** history deleted *****> Ron Nossaman