bridges/seating

Ron Nossaman nossaman@southwind.net
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 15:28:58 -0500 (CDT)

Jon & all,

Re Bob Scott: So single direction terminations at agraff and capo wouldn't=
 cause false beats by virtue of not being on the sound production end of the=
 string huh? OK, fair enough, but I just went out in the shop for more=
 ammunition. I've got a Baldwin SF ready to go with re-notched bridges, new=
 bridge pins (CA'd in) sounds clean and nice (except for final tuning) from=
 one end to the other. OK, here goes. With back lighting along the strings,=
 it's obvious that the string excursion is not purely vertical. They go all=
 over the place without false beats. Doesn't compute. I'm still holding out=
 for the loose bridge pin theory because with the string stuck off the=
 bridge, you wouldn't have the horizontal motion anchor of the bridge=
 surface allowing the pin to flex in a loose hole with the horizontal phase=
 of string excursion. Seating the string on the bridge would help in the=
 cases where the resulting horizontal friction overcomes the leverage of=
 horizontal string movement. What do you think?

Regards, Ron Nossaman  =20

=20

<****** history deleted ******> Ron Nossaman