bass strings

Mon, 14 Apr 1997 15:07:16 -0700

James,

I think that "someone" was me.

Actually, there are probably several reasons why Dan's strings are
superior.  Certainly attention to detail is among them.  On the other hand,
electrical grade copper is less ductile, making the final product less
flexible, than pure copper.

With the Kawai, I've looked at a few of these which wound up needing some
retooling of the
v-bar, as well as restringing of the treble.  Lots of tension on some of
those scales.  Probably Don Mannino could help out with some thoughts.

Best.

Horace

>List,
>	Someone has said that the copper used by the Canadian string maker
>was not
>"electrical grade" copper but was somehow a purer form.  Since I would
>assume that the weight of the copper is the same how could it make that
>much difference in the tone?  Or, is it just attention to detail by the
>string maker.
>	On a different note,  I have one Kawai KG-8C that gets broken
>strings (top
>section) when you lower the tension, even the small amount of moving during
>regular tunings.  Anyone heard of that?
>
>James Grebe in St. Louis
>pianoman@inlink.com

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu