false beats was ...

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 12:23:33 -0500

Hi Jim, list
	I have not seen re-stringings where the bridge was planed, and or
renotched, , that I was aware of.  I have never heard of it, although
an occasional mutter about recaping, but then I probably didn't spend
enough time in rebuilder's shops, and for now the opportunity is
gone.  Alas for me.  This sounds like a process I would
rather learn under a master.  Does that mean the b pins have to be
redrilled?
The few (re-strings) I have done, false beats were not a problem.
Also the *most* of the restrings I have seen did not have false beat
problems in a few years after.
	I was shown how to remedy strings ridding up on the bridge pins, by
tapping with a hammer shank.  However it is temporary.  Probably has
to do with the sound board rather than the bridge swelling (shrinking
I would imagine) with the humidity and temp changes. But why only one
here or there?   The tech who showed it claimed he could get the
string in question to do it (become false) by certain playing.
	 Usually the pin is  loose, or the cap is cracked or split. Whatever
the cause, loose bridge pins, even ones that don't look loose have to
be addressed before any hope of eliminating false beats for longer
than tapping.    In other words, show me a string that has a false
beat, and I'll show you a loose bridge pin, or a seemingly tight pin
that can be pulled with tweezers if not with fingers.  I'll bet the
groove will be fan shaped under the string also.   If false beats are
caused by reactions of the bridge to humidity and season changes, it
stands to reason there should be bunches of strings in sections
rather than a few isolated ones.
	Richard Moody
----------
> From: Jim <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
> To: Richard Moody <remoody@easnetsd.com>
> Cc: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: String breakage (was Re: I Raise the pitch...)
> Date: Tuesday, April 15, 1997 2:10 AM
>
> Hi Richard and Rob:
>
> Have you noticed that when one restrings a piano without planing
off the
> string indentations and renotching the bridge, the beats come back
> usually within a year?
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
> On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Richard Moody wrote:

> > > From: Rob Stuart-Vail <rob_sv@msn.com>
> > > To: pianotech@byu.edu
> > > Subject: RE: String breakage (was Re: I Raise the pitch...)
> > > Date: Monday, April 14, 1997 6:10 PM
> > >

> > > p.s.  Today I "rendered" the strings to the bridges on a
Steinway