Seating/false beats

Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu Rick.Florence@ASU.Edu
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:47:54 -0700

>Thanks your answer, Ron.  I'll try to snip so this doesn't meander.
>
>>I've been wondering myself if a hard blow CAN drive a string up a bridge
>pin, or if it's exclusively a humidity swing thing.
>
>Well, are false beats worse in the eastern U.S. where humidity changes are
>drastic, or do they also happen in places like Montana and Arizona? If
>people can clean up false beats in dry climates by seating strings, then
>something other than humidity is at work. Hard blows seem a likely place to
>look.

Actually, humidity changes in Arizona are drastic.  Last week the RH was
11%.  In a few more weeks the temperature will start climbing and many
people will use evaporative coolers and the RH in the home climbs to about
50%.  The next stage in this God-forsaken desert is the monsoon season (I
know what you're thinking: "A monsoon season in Arizona, ya right!") in
July and August where a temperature of 115 and a RH of 50-60% is quite
common.  I realize that 50-60% RH is not very high, however, as you cool
the air with a heat pump or AC, many times the system cannot remove enough
of the moisture and you end up with 70-80% RH readings inside.  Add to that
the days that it rains - still over 105 and now the RH at 90-100% and one
begins to doubt one's level of sanity for leaving a place like Calgary
(which ras real seasons) to come here (a place whose only two seasons are
"HOT" and "HOT AS ^%#^#%&!!").

----
Rick Florence, Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music
http://www.asu.edu/cfa/music/