Music Desk Felt

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:35:13 -0500

Avery Todd wrote:

     Would the soaking type solution be the best way to remove worn
  out
  music desk felt (black)? A better way? Which glue?

Avery,
Is the surface the felt is glued to flat or mortised out to accept a
guide rail.  When un-gluing felt from flat surfaces, saturate the felt
with water, then iron it using a regular household iron.  Move the iron
slowly enough to steam almost all the water out of the felt.  You can
immediately lift the felt off the wood behind the iron.  It leaves very
little glue residue and the wood remains dry enough to re-glue
immediately.

This works with hide glue - I've not tried it with Titebond.

Thanks, Warren, for the wallpaper solution or vinegar tip.  On areas
that I couldn't reach with an iron, I just scraped a lot.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter