Chickering tone

thart thart@tcnet.net
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 16:20:48 -0700

To the List:

   I would like your ideas on ways of enhancing the " volume " from and
tonal quality of the strings in the treble section of a Chickering grand,
8 1/2 ft., c. 1850 ?   This piano had previously been given a new
soundboard, tenor and treble bridge re-capping, new shanks & hammers, new
strings and the action regulated.
   Crown is present in the board. (amount ?)  Bridge is said to be tight
to the board. Soundboard is tight to the inner rim. (as can best be
determined). Hammer manufacturer unknown. (hammer felts have been
chemically treated to harden).  Piano is tuned to A-440.
    I would appreciate this information for my own knowledge and also for
a fellow technician who's not " on line ".

    Your comments!

    Michael Hart
    thart@tcnet.net