No subject

Thursday, April 17, 1997 12:43 PM

In addition, I think it should be pointed out in this discussion that
the downbearing of an individual string is fairly small - on the
order of a couple of pounds. So the friction required to keep the
string slightly off of the bridge isn't that great.

	I heard about seven pounds, times 240, and it adds up to a large
cow. Here I would like to ask this kind and gracious list that I
would never post sarcastic, or inane, or inflamitory remarks to
(unless I can't help my self) and am never long winded, especially
off topic ,, I need the formulas for vectors.  I would like to
calculate the tension added to a string when it is depressed in the
middle, by x amount of pounds.  Also the resulting tension if the
wire is deflected x distance, again in the middle..  Will  that
tension be different if the force is applied x distance from one
termination or the other? Also In computing downbearing pressure on
the bridge what formula should I use?

As to the ability of the hammer to lift the string off of the bridge.
 I'm not as sure of that as I was a couple of weeks ago (this list
will do that to you) I think, as Ron Says, that humidity shifts have
a lot more to do with it in normal circumstances.  I do maintain,
however, that a hard blow, especially in the upper treble where the
hammer is a lot closer to the bridge, can create some movement.

John McKone, RPT
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
(612) 280-8375
"Sleepless in Minnesota"

	And added to that is that fact that the bridge had two bearing
points, the front and rear.  If the bridge tilts towards the tuning
pins, there will be less bearing there, and not only that, the rear
bearing will be higher than the front bearing.  That alone should
cause the strings to tend to "ride up" on the front bridge pins,
before any  force from the hammer is considered. Granted the pins are
slanted to counter act this tendency, but can this slant work if the
bridge is tilted forward?  In this senerio the string is against the
bridge pin rather than sitting on the front edge of the bridge cap.
This might be yet another "cause" of false beats.  Removing the wire
should show differences of depth in the string groove between front
and rear if there is tilt in the bridge. That might be an indication
of where to sand or plane if that is what you want to do.   Some one
asked about the bearing changing because of planing, of course it
does, but with an "acujust" hitch pin no problem.  With conventional
hitch pins that gets into another thread.
Richard Moody