Seating/false beats

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:45:40 -0700 (PDT)

If there's a groove in the pin, doesn't that imply that the string was up
there quite awhile, sawing away? We seem to have been assuming it hops up,
but wouldn't it just creep up, reach the limited height that tension and
downbearing allowed, and then proceed to vibrate and groove the pin?

If so, this would support (relatively) frequent seating as a procedure. If
the string wasn't up there long enough to groove the pin, it wouldn't have
the indentation to hang up on.

If CA is put on when the pins are new, do the strings ride up at all?

Is there some form of lubrication, also when the bridge was new, which would
prevent them ever creeping up (if creeping is what they do), without
clogging the tone?

Question: Has anyone checked uprights to see if unseated strings there make
grooves? If so, it would imply that the "upward" force of the hammer isn't
what's making them ride up, since the hammers hit the opposite sides of the
strings.

(Marcel, the word "indentations" is excellent English.)

>>I find this discussion very interesting. One thing that was not mentioned
>>though is the fact that the bridge pins are softer material than the
>>strings. When I remove these I usually can see indentations (is that
>>English?). They actually are grooved. No wonder string want to stay up
>>there. Since all the force is usually applied upward, that groove will have
>>a tendency to be above the bridge plane. IMHO, that might be why when
>>rebuilding it is necessary to replace these pins. The notching will help
>>too, but I'm not so sure the sanding of the bridge would make such an
>>improvement.
>>
>>Marcel Carey, RPT
>>

>Murphy, is that you?
> Ron Nossaman
*** "and who _else_ do you think it would be?" ***

Susan Kline
skline@proaxis.com
P.O. Box 1651,
Philomath, OR 97370